Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Inka Trail Preparation

One Year Ago
About a year ago I was looking over my bucket list and I had the crazy idea of adding "Machu Picchu" to it.  Michael saw the addition, and he started planning our trip immediately.  (He's been wanting to travel to South America.)  I was not ready for a long trip away from our kids, so we did our best to come to a compromise.

Planning
Michael did all the travel preparations: made sure our passports were up to date, purchased trail permits, purchased plane and train tickets, etc.  I was terrified about the physical aspect, so I put myself on a training schedule to build my endurance.  I achieved my fitness goal about 2 weeks prior to the trip, so physically, I was ready.  We also did some breathing exercises to increase lung capacity. (There is a lot less oxygen in Cusco, Peru due to altitude.)


Inka Trail Pack List
I started working on my pack list early, but even while on the trail I thought of things I wished I had packed, so I added some things to help readers that are planning their trip. Also, there are links to examples.

o 4 pairs underwear (cotton is fine)
o 2 dry-fit tank tops
o 2 dry-fit, high impact, sports bras
o Fleece sweater
o Waterproof coat
o 4 sock liners
o 2 wool socks
o Warm Earband or Beanie
o Wool gloves
o Buff
o Cap or Sun hat
o Sunscreen
o Insect repellant
o Make up/mirror (optional)
o Sunglasses
o Passport
o Poncho
o Warm sleeping bag
o Thermarest
o Headlamp (Don’t plan to share!)
o Bladder for water
o Daypack
o Sandals
o Hand sanitizer
o Biodegradable wipes
o travel kleenex
o Toothbrush/toothpaste
o Towel
o Comb & ponytail holder
o Snacks (granola, Cliff bars, etc.)
o Candied Ginger or capsules (optional)
o Extra gear, gifts, tips for Porters (added)
o Dramamine/Seabands for bumpy bus ride to trailhead (added)
o Wristwatch (added)
o Pepto (added)

No comments:

Post a Comment