Friday, April 11, 2014

Trip to Peru

Ready!
Bags packed, taxi on its way, time for the moment I dreaded the most.  Saying goodbye to our children was the most difficult thing about our trip.  I knew they'd be safe and happy with their grandparents.  I was just sad about missing them for 9 days, and I knew it was unlikely, but I was scared there would be a freak accident and I'd never see them again.  So many tears.  I made a little photo album for the trip, and I spent a lot of time staring at their precious faces.

Once the goodbyes were over, we began the long journey to Peru.  Taxi to airport, flight to San Salvador, flight to Lima, flight to Cusco.  TIRED!

Cusco, Peru
View of Cusco
We arrived at our hotel in Cusco early in the morning, with the whole day ahead of us.  We could have explored the city, but instead we passed out in the hotel lobby while the staff prepared our room.  Once in the lovely room, we got a good nap, in a cozy bed.  Then, we were ready to go have fun.
Lunch was at Green's Organic, where I had a delicious, warm vegetarian sandwich.  Then, we traveled by cab to some archaeological sites.  It was a nice "sample platter" of what was to come.

Tombomachay
Tombomachay
Tombomachay
Puca Pucara
Alpaca too close! at Sacsayhuaman
70 ton rock at Sacsayhuaman
Energy rock at Sacsayhuaman


Aguas Calientes
After the Inka trail hike, our bus dropped us off at in Aguas Calientes.  We got to have one last meal with the family.  What a special bond we all shared on our journey.  I'll never forget those 16 family members, plus guides, chefs, and porters.
After lunch, Michael and I went to our hotel for a shower and nap.  That was the best shower ever!  Of course Michael booked another fancy hotel.  We watched the river from our balcony and contacted our families.  That nap never happened.  After a gourmet dinner, we got to meet up with 4 other family members that were also sleeping in Aguas Calientes that evening.  We also got to finally try this "pisco" liquor that is signature in Peru.
On our second day in Aguas Calientes we got massages, did some shopping, and ate some Peruvian food.  In the evening we took a luxurious train ride to our next destination....
Peru Rail

Urabumba
Michael ended our trip with the most luxurious of all of our hotel rooms.  Tambo Del Inka was beautiful!  It was dark when we arrived, but we still hit the heated indoor/outdoor pool followed by a sit in the sauna.  Dinner at the hotel restaurant was elegant and delicious.

After a deep slumber in that cozy bed, we spent the next morning walking around the market.  We didn't stay long because the smells were getting to me.  Streets were lined with women selling meats, fruits and vegetables, and beautiful flowers.  We didn't find any souvenirs.  After the market we took a cab to the salt mines.  Michael's recollection and use of Spanish was impressive.  He got us all over Peru.  I'm lucky to get to travel with him.
The salt mines in Moray were quite fascinating.  We didn't have a tour guide, and I could tell that our cab driver wanted to tell us all about it, but he didn't speak English.  He was very enthusiastic as he gestured to us to look at the flats.  The work that the Inkas did to mine the salt was brilliant.
View of Urabumba from Moray, near Salt Mines
The salt mines in Moray was our last quick adventure before catching our flight home.  Our ride picked us up at our hotel at about 11:30 am.  I really can't sleep in cars, but I slept all the way to the airport.  I didn't realize how exhausted I was.  It was a long and tiring journey home.  I was delighted at last to embrace my sweet babes when we got home.

No comments:

Post a Comment