Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Too Scared to Be Brave

I've heard a lot of church sermons with the challenge to "be brave" or "follow your dreams."  This challenge frustrates me, as I scream inside, "I don't have time to follow my dreams!" So, again I was irritated when my Mothers of Preschoolers group announced the theme for the year: "Be You Bravely." noooooo!
Last year, I would have burned it, but now I love my sign from "Stained and Striped."

Great, I'm going to have to hear this challenge all year long.  All year long, I'll be reminded that I cannot follow my dreams.  Ten years ago, this was my plan for the future: Become a teacher, get married, have kids, continue to work, acquire masters degree.  I didn't realize having kids would interrupt these plans.  Reality check to April: Kids interrupt life!  And I have learned to be OK with that. Kids also improve my life.  My Karis and Judah are such a delight.
I can get my masters degree and go back to work later.  Right now, I'm right where I need to be.  God reminds me again and again: "Be still and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10
I have learned that dreams can change.  Now, my classroom is my kitchen.  I get to teach my own children, and it is a ton of fun.  This time will soon pass, and I'm gonna love it in the meantime.  I was thinking, maybe next year the MOPS theme could be: "Embrace Change" or "Celebrate Change."

I've also learned to be brave, because my kids are brave.  Last week, before I got a flu shot I had anxiety about it.  After the shot I whined about the pain.  I took my kids for their shots today, and they were super brave!  I'm so proud of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment