Friday, April 20, 2012

IC and the Stay-At-Home Mommy

A while ago I complained about the loneliness of being a stay-at-home mom.  However, it obviously has many benefits.  Of course, it is what's best for my daughter; that's why I do it.  Staying at home also makes my pain from interstitial cystitis easier to control.

Clothing
Luckily I don't have to wear business attire.  Loose fitting clothes are the best, specially on bad IC days.  I like to wear PJ pants, cotton shorts, gauchos, skirts, or scrub type pants.

Water
I drink water literally ALL day long.  It's great for keeping the bladder toxins diluted.  Plus, water helps keep up my milk supply for baby, and it helps keep her hydrated.

Bathroom Breaks
Since I drink water all day, I have to go to the bathroom frequently.  Of course I can't always go to the bathroom immediately (if I'm in the middle of feeding Karis or a diaper change).  However, I'm able to get there in a more timely manner than when I had a classroom full of students.

Stay Active
When baby is sleeping, it's easy to lay in bed and think, "Poor me and poor bladder."  I think this just makes it hurt worse.  When I get up, put on those cotton shorts, go for a walk, and get some chores done, yes the pain is still there, but at least I'm not laying around thinking about it.

Rest
Staying active is good, but enough rest is essential!  Some people don't need much sleep, and some people need a lot.  I think I'm somewhere in between.  But I have to get that rest to take care of my health.

Eat Well
I live in a small town, so fast food isn't really much of an option.  Staying at home gives me time to prepare healthy, non-greasy, non-spicy food.


Elmiron
I've had an off and on relationship with my IC medication, Elmiron.  Lately, I've not been taking it for several reasons (mostly because it's not approved for breastfeeding).  On rough days, I'm sure to wear the loose clothes, drink extra water, and try to stay busy.
Staying Active: Just Completed a 5k
(in my favorite cotton shorts!)

No comments:

Post a Comment